Friday, May 17, 2013

Fabulous Raw Chili Recipe

I absolutely had to share this raw chili recipe with all of you as it includes SO MANY delicious and flavorful raw veggies. It was so good that I had to stop myself from eating the whole thing!!!! I found the recipe on Pinterest. Here is the link:
http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com/2012/11/raw-vegetable-chili-with-taco-nut-meat.html

I did however change it up a little bit. You can either follow it step-by-step from the website or use my suggestions or use a combo of both.

I used all of the ingredients from the list but instead of using corn off a cob (I don't enjoy spending time slicing corn off a cob), I used 1 cup frozen Whole Foods brand corn, thawed. I think it tastes just like fresh corn and it's always handy. I don't suggest using canned corn because it never tastes fresh and usually has added salt.

The original recipe says to dice ALL the veggies and put half of them in the food processor. I did it differently. I cut all the veggies into big chunks first and added all the onion and garlic to the food processor. Then I added half of the other ingredients except the corn and roughly pureed them. Here are my reasons why: 1) I love onion and garlic but eating them completely raw without pureeing them first didn't sound appetizing to me and 2) I wanted to see and taste all the corn in its whole state so I didn't add it to the food processor.

Next, I then diced the other half of the remaining veggies that weren't thrown into the food processor. I didn't see any reason to dice ALL the veggies first since half of them were going to be pureed anyway; seemed like a waste of time.

Finally, I added the pureed veggies to the diced veggies (and corn) as the recipe instructs. I didn't eat the chili right away. I let it sit in the fridge overnight in order to give the flavors a chance to develop.

I almost followed the recipe for the "meat" (I just can't help myself) but added a few dashes of hot pepper sauce, garlic powder, and onion powder. I used button mushrooms because I didn't want mushrooms that were too overpowering in flavor. If you do dairy, I bet queso fresco would be delicious sprinkled on top. Here was the finished product that I enjoyed for dinner tonight...I hope you enjoy it too:


Note: If the idea of "taco nut meat" does not sound appetizing to you (although it tastes fantastic), I don't see why you can't use ground turkey instead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment