Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Almond Milk Recipe

I am not one to crave a tall glass of milk. In fact, everyone in my household drinks the stuff except me. The only occasion you would ever find me drinking milk would be on some cereal which I hardly ever eat now that I drink my green smoothies in the morning. However, I do get a craving for a bowl of cereal every once in a while (maybe once every 3 months) before I go to bed. I used to use milk on those occasions but not anymore once I discovered how absolutely DELICIOUS homemade almond milk is. The store bought variety doesn't even come close.

I have received a few requests for my recipe, which I posted on FB a while back. Here it is:

Makes 3 cups almond milk
1 cup raw almonds (soaked overnight or at least for 8 hrs)
3 cups water (or 2 cups water/1 cup coconut water if you want some coconut flavor)
5 dates (I use the Medjool variety), pitted
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
couple pinches of nutmeg

1. After soaking the almonds, give them a good rinse and put in blender. I use my Vitamix but you can probably use any old blender. Just don't expect it to grind the pulp as well as the Vitamix.
2. Add your water/coconut water and blend on the highest possible speed for a couple minutes.
3. Strain you milk either using a nut milk bag which you can buy at www.rawglow.com or use a fine mesh sieve/cheesecloth.
4. After straining, pour milk back into the blender. Discard the almond pulp. Add your dates and blend for about another minute (the timing really depends on the strength of your blender). Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend on low for a few seconds to mix the spices with the milk.
5. I then like to strain it one more time to get rid of the date pulp and froth but you don't have to.
6. Chill and enjoy. I bought a really cute milk bottle from Cost Plus.



**Note: Please experiment with the amount of your spices/dates. The measurements I gave you are what makes the perfect milk for me personally. I provided those measurements to you as a base.

No comments:

Post a Comment