Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Raw Soup and a Smoothie!!

I have recently discovered Ani Phyo's cookbooks (thank you Si!!). I have tried many delicious smoothie and soup recipes from Ani's 15-Day Fat Blast cookbook. I wanted to share one delicious raw soup recipe and one smoothie recipe with you. I have chosen to share her Curry Coconut Soup and Pear Power Shake (although it's more like a Pear/Blueberry Power Shake after I got done with it). Of course I made a few changes to the recipes to suit my taste buds!

Coconut Curry Soup
1 c. diced tomato, about 1 whole
1 TBLS lemon juice
1 TBLS virgin coconut oil
2 TBLS fresh cilantro
1/2 c. chopped bok choy or handful of spinach
1 tsp miso
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. coconut milk
salt to taste

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. I have a Vitamix so I actually put it on the "soup" setting and let the soup warm up just a tad. You don't want to let the soup go over 104° though in order for your soup to remain raw. You can always use the microwave too, just go easy!! I warm it to about 99°-100°....that is just perfect for me.

**Note: She also added 1 cup of avocado, and as much as I LOVE avocado, I actually didn't care for the taste of the avocado blended in the soup. The soup was actually quite creamy without the avocado. You could probably cube the avo and put it in the soup after you have blended it if you'd like.

Also, a little note about coconut oil. I have tried both the refined coconut oil and unrefined virgin coconut oil. Hands down, the virgin coconut oil is THE BEST. It has the wonderful aroma of coconut and tastes delicious. The refined version doesn't have a nice coconut smell or taste. Of course the vigin coconut oil is more expensive so that is a decision you'll have to make.

Pear/Blueberry Power Shake
1 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/2 pear, cut into cubes
1c. kale
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. filtered water
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp wheat grass powder (you can find that at Whole Foods or on Amazon)
1/2 c. ice
You don't have to add a sweetener but I added 1 tsp Truvia to my smoothie

Place all ingredients in blender, and blend until smooth

**Note: Please don't be afraid to try the wheat grass powder. Whole Foods actually sells little individual packets for about $1.50 so you don't have to commit to a big container if you don't like it. I actually have found that by adding it to some of my smoothies (I've only just discovered it within the last few days), it gives me a little "vroom vroom" to my morning...and who can't use a little "vroom vroom"?? It is important to add the lemon as it cuts down the grassy taste of the kale and wheat grass. Lemon also aides with digestion and helps support the liver's natural detox process.

I hope you enjoy both of these delicious recipes. As always, don't hesitate to make the recipes your own by changing them up, as I always do. :-)






2 comments:

  1. Priscilla in WashingtonAugust 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM

    I have been following all your recipes and raw food suggestions. I love all your encouragement in trying to be a little adventurous in the kitchen. We are what we eat, but we each have our own special tastebuds. So glad that you are back posting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm happy to have readers who post comments! Don't forget to step out of your comfort zone when it comes to trying new foods. Maybe even try a food you may not have like before but you may like now if prepared differently. I didn't really care for fresh dill until recently. Our taste buds are always changing!!

    ReplyDelete