Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie

For the last couple weeks I have been "smoothie crazy." Not just for the glowing green smoothie, but I kind of felt the need to change it up. I posted the recipe for my Pear/Blueberry Power Shake a couple weeks ago. Since then, I've been experimenting with different recipes. Here's another one that is sure to become a favorite. I feel like I have a little piece of the tropics here in Salinas (where the weather has been less than desirable) when I drink this smoothie.

I also decided to add chia seeds and flax meal to this smoothie to keep me full longer which I did not add to my Pear/Blueberry Shake. I was actually surprised that this smoothie kept me full for about 4 hrs which was fantastic!!

What the heck do chia seeds do??!! Chia seeds swell to about 10-15 times their original size when added to any kind of liquid. This then forms a gel and that is what keeps you fuller longer. These seeds have high levels of both soluble and insoluble fiber. I don't think I have to explain what role fiber plays when it comes to our colons! But, I will tell you that the gel chia seeds create, helps keep your colon hydrated which helps food move easily through your system. As an added bonus, chia seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids.

Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
1 c. almond milk (more or less depending on desired consistency)
1/2 c. frozen pineapple chunks
1/2 c. frozen strawberries
1 TBLS chia seeds
1 TBLS flax meal
1 TBLS virgin coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
Desired sweetener to taste (I use Truvia)

Add all ingredients to blender and blend away!! If you chose to use fresh pineapple and strawberries, you'll have to add about 1/2 c ice in order to make your smoothie cold. As this smoothie sits, it will become thicker because of the chia seeds and flax meal, so I encourage you to drink smoothie immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment