Saturday, August 3, 2013

Delish Cauliflower Crust Pizza

Yes...I am back! After a 2 month hiatus, I have recharged my battery and am ready to post some more GREAT stuff. After planning 2 kids birthday parties back-to-back, I have recovered.

I have been DYING to post this fantastic Cauliflower Crust Pizza as I made it for the first time about a month ago. I got the recipe from one of my favorite books, The Fresh Energy Cookbook by authors Rose & Choi. It is not a raw recipe as it requires cooking but it is gluten free and made with goat feta and gouda which is suppose to be easier on the digestion than cow cheese. I also adjusted the cooking time as I didn't think it was sturdy enough after the time they used. Here it is:

For the crust:
4 cups Cauliflower "Rice" (you just take florets from a head of cauliflower and process it in a food processor until it resembles short-grain rice), steamed and excess moisture removed using a nut milk bag or cheesecloth
1/2 cup goat feta cheese (I found some delicious french goat feta at Whole Foods)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
Pinch of paprika

Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (if using foil, spray lightly with non-stick spray or a little oil). Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and transfer the mixture to the baking sheet. Shape the mixture into a flat circle keeping it 1/3" thick (I used a cheesecake springform pan with the bottom taken off in order to shape my pizza perfectly...it worked great!).Bake for 25-30 mins until nicely browned. Then turn the oven down to 300° and bake for another 15-20 mins. Turn the oven off and leave the crust in indirect heat for another 20-30 mins. You can save the crust for the next day (I used mine the next day and it was still nice and sturdy) or top it with marinara and goat gouda and whatever toppings you'd like and bake at 400° again for about 10 mins until cheese is nice and bubbly. Now, my chiropractor tried this recipe and used pesto instead of marinara which I tried last week and it was delicious also...thank you Dr. B.

 
Using my sprinform pan to shape dough


A couple of important tips:It is soooooo important...did I say "IMPORTANT"....to really wring out your steamed cauliflower rice before mixing with the other ingredients which will require you to cool the cauliflower first.  I simply placed my processed "rice" in my nut milk bag and then threw it in my steamer turning it every once in a while with an over mitt so I didn't burn my hand until it was nicely steamed. Then I put it in the fridge until it was cool enough to handle.When cooled, wring it out. If you don't, your crust will turn out soggy. Also, I know the cooking process seems really tedious but I just did it on a Saturday when I was home all day and did a little bit of the process at a time in between feeding the kids and their naptime.

Now, with that being said, this is not something I would be able to do every week, but it is nice to have when I'm craving pizza. I'm not gonna lie though, the crust does not taste like regular pizza crust, HOWEVER, by adding the marinara and your toppings you'll get your pizza fix!

 
Browned Crust
 
Finshed product
 


2 comments:

  1. Priscilla in WashingtonAugust 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM

    Glad you are back with more raw food recipes. Thanks for letting us know where you get your recipes. I like keeping my eye out for possible cookbooks to add to my collection. Where can I buy a "nut milk bag?" I am considering trying this recipe.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ani Phyo has some pretty cool recipes but a lot of them require a dehydrator. As of right now, I am trying to live more raw without one! You can buy a nut milk bag at Whole Foods or on-line. I puchased mine at: http://www.rawglow.com/sproutbag.htm before I knew WF sold them. This recipe is a little time consuming but it is worth it when your taste buds start singing "Yay pizza!!"

    ReplyDelete