Thursday, August 15, 2013

Sauerkraut in a Salad???!!!

The first thing I can hear you say as you read this post is "Whaaaaaaat...sauerkraut in a salad??!! That was my exact reaction when I read this recipe in Phyo's cookbook. But, I thought...hmmmm...I love salad and I love sauerkraut, so why not try it.

Raw sauerkraut has many nutritional benefits to it. We aren't talking about the over-processed, canned, over-salted stuff here, people. We are talking about the RAW, probiotic rich, unprocessed stuff that you buy in the refrigerated section of the store or you make yourself (you can find LOTS of recipes on the Internet...but they take some time to ferment). Along with providing a great source of Vitamin C, raw sauerkraut's probiotics are believed to help maintain a healthy immune system, and improve your digestion.

So, I challenge you to try this recipe if you like sauerkraut. It's definitely a different way of eating it AND it will add a new dimension to your salad. I love that you rub the greens with the avocado first to coat them. You don't have to add dressing and the sauerkraut adds a little saltiness so you don't have to add extra salt! Her original recipe includes capers, which I did not add. I also added romaine lettuce for some added crunch. Feel free to include greens that you love.

Easy Being Green Salad
1 handful spinach
1c. red leaf lettuce
Few romaine leaves
1/2 avocado
1/2 c. sauerkraut (I actually have added more!!)
2 TBLS fresh corn kernels (corn is deliciously sweet right now)
handful cherry tomatoes

Place greens in a bowl. Mash the avocado then massage into the greens. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss. Best enjoyed immediately!

Although I haven't tried adding protein, I bet this salad would be delicious also if you added a little chicken or steak if you needed some protein.

1 comment:

  1. I make my own lacto fermented sauerkraut and other veggies and I have used all of then in a salad and it is really yummy! Occasionally I may add a dab of mayo as well and it makes a somewhat creamy dressing what with the juice from the sauerkraut and all.... and you are right Larissa, some cooked chicken is great in it also.

    ReplyDelete