Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cheating and Nuts

Good evening everyone! Today was just one of those days. You know what I'm talking about. By 9:00am, I just wanted to climb back in bed, throw the covers over my head, and go back to sleep. As a mother, it just wasn't an option (but it's nice to dream, isn't it??). So, when Xander and I left Parent's Place after our afternoon of fun and play, I stopped off at CVCRC there on Lighthouse in P.G. for an iced Mocha. I only have them put half the amount of chocolate they normally put in it so it isn't so sweet. It tasted so good and I do not regret drinking it. We all need a cheat day...at least once a week. That is how we stay sane in this insane world.

 I have tried a few different diets over the years and while they worked well for the short term (quick weight loss), they ended up leaving me wondering "is that it?" As I got older, weight loss wasn't the only thing I cared about anymore. I wanted more youthful looking skin (without having to spend hundreds of dollars a month on beauty products), healthier and shinier hair, and just more energy. That is where eating more raw foods comes into play and including nuts in my diet.

So, I'm sure you have all heard how nuts are full of good fats. I used to only eat them on rare occasions for fear that they would contribute to weight gain. For the past 2 months, I have eaten them almost every day but I am always paying attention to the amount I am eating; about an ounce a day. I could probably sit down and eat a whole package of walnuts if I wanted to...that is where discipline comes in. :-)

 K.S. includes MANY raw nut dishes in her books. She does talk about soaking them first to make them easier to digest. Soaking times depend on the size of the nut. However, you can only soak raw nuts, not the roasted, salted variety. If you don't soak them, they become more acid-forming in the body and you want your body to stay as alkaline as possible. Since nuts are a dense food, you should also always eat nuts with water-containing raw veggies or a salad and never with animal protein or avocados. Eating them with animal protein or avocados will make everything harder to digest which means all that food will be sitting in your gut at 98.6 degrees for hours. I don't think I need to tell you how that is NOT good for your body! :-)

On the other hand, in Choi and Rose's book, "The Fresh Energy Cookbook", they do not recommend making nuts the focal point of your meals often because they ARE calorie dense foods and they believe in consuming mostly low-density foods. In fact, you will only find just a few nut recipes in their book.

I have found that a lot of "raw food" websites/blogs rely heavily on nuts in their meals. Regarding eating habits, I think moderation is the key to long-term success. You have to do what works for your body. Believe me, your body will let you know if it doesn't agree with something you just ate.

On a side note, I just ask you to remember some things before you sit down to your next meal. What is this food going to do for my body? Is my body going to thank me or slap me in the face?! Is it going to give me a "high five" or is it going to give me two thumbs down? Am I going to feel refreshed and energized after I eat, or am I going to feel like I just ate a bowling ball? I think you get the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment