Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Delicious Cucumber Rolls

Tonight I made cucumber rolls for dinner. I took the basic recipe from K.S. and made it my own. They are really easy to make. You can save yourself some time by making the almond butter paste ahead of time. I made mine yesterday.  

In a food processor (I have a mini one that is a 2 cup capacity), combine:
1/3 c. almond butter
1/2 TBLS grated ginger (fresh ginger REALLY makes a difference here)
2 TBLS lemon juice
2-3 TBLS water
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBLS agave (K.S. doesn't use agave but I like it)

Cut the ends of the cucumber and take a "Y" vegetable peeler and run it across the cucumber lengthwise to make thin strips. You can also use a mandolin if you have one.  



Take 2 cucumber strips and lay them on top of each other (I like a double layer of cucumber). Then, spread the almond butter paste on the cucumber slices leaving about an inch without the spread.
 
 
Put whatever veggies you want on top of the almond butter paste. I used the spiralized carrots from the other night and added spring mix.
 
 
 
Then, roll them from bottom to top. The idea of leaving a space at the top is because your filling will be pushed upwards as you roll.
 
Here is the finished product:
 
 

This is one of my favorite raw food recipes so far. I know you are probably thinking, "What??? Cucumber with almond butter??". You have to trust me that it is really yummy. You could even add thin strips of red bell pepper.
 
For dinner tonight I had a few of these rolls and a big green salad with roasted beets that I made a few days ago. The rest of the family ate broiled salmon, pasta, salad, and veggies. I really wanted to add salmon to my meal, but after eating all this, I didn't have room for anything else. Maybe I'll have a couple bites of the leftover salmon before bed! :-)
 
 
**As a side note, do not attempt to make any more rolls then you are planning to eat that meal. They do not keep well. They are quick to assemble and if you strip the entire cucumber, you can wrap them in a paper towel to absorb any extra moisture and put them in a plastic container for easy access the next day. The almond butter will keep in the fridge until the next use. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. These would be good using zucchini slices as well for those of us who can't use cucumbers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately! If you decide to try that, let me know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete