Monday, April 15, 2013

Spiralized Asian Veggie Salad


Tonight I made Kimberly Snyder’s (I’m going to start referring to her as K.S. since I will be referencing her a lot) Spiralized Asian Veggie Salad. It was DELICIOUS!! The ingredient list includes: zucchini, carrots, mixed greens, walnuts, cilantro, and a homeade Asian Dressing. I decided to add chopped scallions to mine though and wanted to add some diced red bell pepper for a pop of color but found not a one in the fridge :-(. Here is a picture of the finished product:
 
I used a spiral slicer that I purchased on line at: www.rawglow.com. If you don’t want to buy the slicer or don’t have time to spiralize your veggies, you can always buy shredded carrots and zucchini or julienne them with a julienne slicer. This website is actually a really great source to help familiarize you with the raw food diet. I love Cecila’s videos and tutorials because who the heck knows how to sprout garbanzo beans??!! J
Here is what the slicer looks like:
 

Here is the zucchini after going through the slicer. The zucchini is easy to spiralize because they are softer than the carrots. You’ll get a great arm workout spiralizing the carrots though.
 

Here are the veggies after they have been spiralized (this picture includes 2 large carrot and 3 large zucchini):
 

Just a little hint: I decided to place the zucchini in a colander in the sink and added about a tsp of salt. I did this because the salt helps draw out the moisture of the zucchini and “cooks” it. I then rinse the zucchini really well and squeeze out the extra moisture with a few paper towels. You don’t have to salt them, but I decided to do that.

I served my Veggie Salad with teriyaki chicken thighs. I made jasmine rice and sautéed veggies for my hubby Tyler and daughter Sofia. While Tyler had no interest in trying my dish, Sofia was all over it!
 
Tomorrow will be leftover night for me. I have some leftover Gorilla Wraps and one more serving of the Asian Veggie Salad. However, I would like to talk about my thoughts on the consumption of nuts. While K.S. makes a lot of nut dishes, I have read a book called “The Fresh Energy Cookbook” by authors Natalia Rose and Doris Choi who state otherwise. I cannot wait to share some of their fresh recipes also!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment